Sunday, April 10, 2011

Organic Garden

A neighborhood friend asked us about 3 months ago if we would like to share an "organic garden-plot" at the local church. We totally jumped on that opportunity!! 10% of what we grow is donated to the local food organization. I do not have a "green thumb" so we are hoping to have something to donate. Also, we have had a rabbit that has enjoyed our green beans, but he also likes the cabbage on the adjacent plot. Late one evening Zachery and I went up to plant our garden. We first mixed corn meal into our compost and soil (apparently that helps the little organisms that stimulate plant growth - but I truly have no idea if I am saying that right, it was some advice from one of my friend who loves organic gardening and is certified). Then we started planting our carrots, green beans, green and red peppers, tomatoes and broccoli.

Our plants are growing!! We will keep you updated with the progress of our garden and when we harvest for the first time!! (Zachery is also standing next to our red worm box, which we help maintain and their is a park adjacent to the garden plot, so we normally play for a while before going home)





No comments: